Property is a prized possession, and to safeguard it from unexpected damages in the event of fire, flood, earthquake, etc. getting a home insurance is always necessary. However, if your existing health policy is exhausting your monthly income, listed below are a few sure shot ways with which you can control your home insurance costs:
1. Shop around: The decision of buying a home insurance policy should not be taken in haste. Instead, you must explore and make a list of insurance policies that are being offered by various insurance providers. You may also get insurance quotes online to estimate the costs of different policies. Choose a reliable company from which you can buy the comprehensive home insurance plan that suits your needs, and of course, your budget.
2. Increase your deductibles: Deductibles is the fraction of the claim that you have to pay before your insurer pays the claim as per the terms of the policy. The higher the deductibles you set, the lower premiums you will have to pay every month. However, you must set the deductibles as high you can afford.
3. Locate intelligently: Purchase the property in a strategic location but make sure that it is based away from the damage-prone areas. Reason being, if you live in a disaster-prone areas where flood, storm or earthquakes are a common occurrence, there are chances that your home insurance policy may have a separate deductible for such kind of damages.
4. Avoid making small claims: This is the most common mistake that many people make. You exhaust your policy in small claims thus leaving no room for bigger loss protection. Rather it is advised to deal with smaller issues on your own and keep this policy to protect your home from bigger catastrophic losses.
5. Improve home security: To avoid getting your home damaged from little mishaps, it is suggested to increase the security in your home by installing devices like smoke detectors, burglar alarm, etc.
6. Merge Policies with one Insurer: Just like you pool your internet, phone, and TV package, you can also merge your insurance policies with one insurer. Buy your health insurance, homeowners, life, and auto insurance plan from one insurance company and come out cheaper by bundling these insurance products together. You may also buy policies in a package that is less expensive as compared to single policies. It also liberates you from the trouble of policy renewal.
7. Eliminate Unnecessary Coverage: Don't buy the coverage you don't need. Like earthquake coverage is often unnecessary in most zones, don't include jewelry if it is at a catchpenny price etc. Also exclude a land value from your policy. Covering land on which your house is constructed is simply of no use as it is unlikely that your land will be stolen or burnt is fire. So to save big, insure the value of your home only.
There are many insurance providers who offer age and profession discounts as well. Some times there certain discounts for retirees and people with good credit rating. Never eliminate the coverage that is important just to save your money as spending extra on important services will benefit you in the long run.
About the Author:
If you are looking to buy a good home insurance policy
at affordable price, you may contact HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
Pros and Cons of FSAs and HSAs - Part 1
Peggy L Farnworth
As the time approaches to sign up for your company cafeteria plan, which do you choose the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or the Health Savings Account (HSA)? Much depends on your unique family situation. Let's explore how each program works....
Cyber Liability Insurance: Not IF Your Customers Will Need It, But WHEN
In 2013 and 2014, high-profile data breaches at several major retailers and banks put millions of customer credit card numbers in criminal hands. These events put large numbers of people at risk of identity theft, and incurred millions of dollars in IT consulting, legal, and public relations costs to the companies....
Cystic Fibrosis Life Insurance In Canada
It can be difficult to get life insurance if you have cystic fibrosis. Find out about different options that you have....
Auto Insurance Agents Are Like Professional Advisors
Birendra Mohan Bhattacharjee
Whether you are searching for the perfect business insurance cover or a personal protection with life insurance policy, you must take the support of experienced auto insurance agents because of many advantages. The trusted agent helps choose the best policy by comparing different auto insurance quotes from multiple providers for confirmed economical benefit....
Car Insurance Rates in Ontario
Are you concerned about car insurance rates in Ontario? Insurance rates in this province are among the highest in the country. Learn what you can do to save money on your rate....
How Force Placed Insurance Can Save a Homeowner From Taking a Loss
There is no one place in the world where you can protect yourself against disaster, just like there is no one insurance plan to protect you against all losses. Many homeowners don't own their homes outright because they have a mortgage against their property. So what happens when homeowners have insurance, but their lender deems it insufficient?...
Things You Must Consider While Buying Car Insurance For A Used Car
Whether you have a new car or a used one, the necessity to buy a car insurance remains the same. However, the insurance you buy depends on the kind of vehicle you own and how frequent you need it to travel. To purchase the right insurance with maximum coverage at best price, you must always follow certain few simple tips....