COMPASSION is a heart that believes in another's best when they feel they're the worst. We all have such times when we feel worthless and useless, and who we need is someone with compassion; that they might genuinely see us, as we are, as worthy individuals of esteem in, and especially in, God's company.
Sometimes we cannot impress those around us and this, for some, makes life deplorable. Then there are times when we have failed, or been betrayed, or when we suffer loneliness and loss.
Here are eleven ways to develop within us the heart of compassion for others:
1. Find someone worse off than you and pray for that person. Really meditate on where they are at. Ask God that they feel enriched in some good way.
2. Find someone who disagrees with you and agree with them. Take their side.
3. Learn about a part of the world you previously had no idea about. Find a part in their existence where they are less fortunate than you. Pray God fuse that in your mind and watch how the Spirit works.
4. Where another has an issue with you, go to them, and make peace.
5. Reverse your understanding. Stand in the other person's shoes. Go deliberately against your feelings. Stay there for a time. Watch your heart soften.
6. Using your will, forgive someone you have loathed for some time. Forgive an act using your simple ability to decide.
7. Imagine some of the ways you've hurt God, and quietly recount these before him in prayer. Feel your heart heal in the process.
8. Notice the person you've favoured. Notice the person you've dissed. Notice how partiality has coloured your perspective away from compassion.
9. Go to a museum or take a history course or watch a history documentary on YouTube. Enjoy feeling smaller than you normally feel. Enjoy with gratitude the simple nature of being alive on the cusp of time.
10. Give someone your fullest attention, and keep doing so.
11. Make a study of God's grace. Learn something new about what you may already know well.
Hearts of compassion make a difference in the world, but not so much in terms of innovative advocacy.
Hearts of compassion make this difference: they honour God in the small matters of simply being true in the moment.
Hearts of compassion see through the lens of God with magnificent acuity. This is because they have thrown off the self and put on love. Can there be any better way to live? No, it's the abundant life is this!
Â© 2015 S. J. Wickham.
About the Author:
Steve Wickham is a Baptist pastor who holds Degrees in Science, Divinity, and Counselling. Steve writes at: http://epitemnein-epitomic.blogspot.com.au/
Going Deeper - The Glue That Helps Relationships Stick
Would you like to go deeper in your relationship? Would you like to have the skill of being able to connect really deeper with your partner or anyone else that is important to you? This article will show you some doable, easy ways to do this. It will show you ways to really get the sticking power to have love stay with you and get incredibly deep. Have fun practicing......
5 Bright Ideas for Fun Things To Do During A Romantic Getaway
Judith I Villarreal
What else could be more exciting and thrilling than packing up for a little mini vacation with no one else around? The only thing you have to consider is what to do once you're on vacation. If you're trying to choose a few things that'll really impress your partner while you're away, then keep this amazing and helpful list of 5 ideas in mind and you're sure to please....
Relationships: Should Someone Try To Rekindle A Friendship?
Oliver JR Cooper
It is often said that one's friends are the family they choose, and this is why someone can feel as close to their fiends as they can to their family. In some instances, the connection one has with their friends could be greater than the connection they have with their family....
True Friends - What Does That Really Mean?
Ryan D Neely
Here is a good way to view a well-rounded friendship through three principles. Though there are other ways to predict a good friendship, these three elements are key to a friendship that will be everlasting....
Why Couples Opt For Pre-Marriage Counselling To Strengthen Their Bond
Mike C Elderson
A lot of couples have gone through a lot of trials and challenges before they decide to get married. They have their own ups and downs. This may be normal but there are also some challenges that a couple may encounter which can really affect their relationship....
5 Common Signs to Know That He Loves You
Are you a single Muslima who thinks that a man likes you but you are not sure about it? Muslim Men are unexpressive when it comes to love and romance. They are too shy to confess their feelings to you. Even if they want to tell you, they will not be expressive in their gesture. So, if you think that a man already likes you but feels hesitant to show his feelings, you can follow these hints:...
A Short Word on Bullying, Harassment and Social Safety
There's no reason why anyone should be in fear of a relationship, because of the threat of violence, or even because it feels awkward. Everyone deserves the opportunity of working and living in safe spaces and situations....