GRACE rocks our world when we finally realise that what God has extended to us we cannot extend to another person quite so easily. Grace is costly. If it's cheap it's not grace. Grace suggests that we can and will forgive again and again.
Grace is ongoing forgiveness notwithstanding the fault of transgression against us.
These are ten ways to ensure forgiveness sticks:
1. Understand that forgiveness will be a daily challenge to be overcome for some time yet - maybe months or even years. I'm sure this is why Jesus said "Not seven times, but seventy-seven/seventy times seven times." Forgiveness will need to become a habit if it's to become an outcome we reach.
2. Do it. Yes, just do it. Go and engage with the person you've forgiven. Don't tell them they're forgiven unless that would help them. Simply engage with them as normally as you can.
3. Don't avoid them. Avoidance speaks of the power of fear and bitterness to control us. We can't continue to forgive people we're avoiding.
4. Do focus on what you have as opposed to what you don't have. Gratefulness and contentment are weapons of virtue against bitterness and resentment.
5. Don't overanalyse situations that make for resentment. Exercise self-restraint over thinking, and feelings can be controlled and will not be exacerbated.
6. Learn about how to expand life rather than allow it to contract. When life contracts we focus on one or two issues to the exclusion of all others. Learning to habitually expand our lives is continually perspectivising it - adding pleasant parts of our past and hopeful parts of our future to the present moment.
7. Read the Bible, and especially areas that deal with forgiveness, patience, grace, anger, and what God has done in Christ.
8. Visualise times and situations where you will have the poise and strength to interact with those who've hurt you. Visualise feeling not only in control, but gracious, content with what you have, and able to love them as God does.
9. Research the area of forgiveness and grace and make a collection of quotes and writings with which to reflect over. Make it a daily practice to research and read.
10. Pray. Just simply pray. Seek God for the love needed to forgive - a love that transcends our selfish flesh.
Forgiveness is the freedom we each deserve when we allow others to be pardoned and be free.
Forgiveness sets us free from the bondage of bitterness. Forgiveness is for giving.
Â© 2015 S. J. Wickham.
About the Author:
Steve Wickham is a Baptist pastor who holds Degrees in Science, Divinity, and Counselling. Steve writes at: http://epitemnein-epitomic.blogspot.com.au/
Going Deeper - The Glue That Helps Relationships Stick
Would you like to go deeper in your relationship? Would you like to have the skill of being able to connect really deeper with your partner or anyone else that is important to you? This article will show you some doable, easy ways to do this. It will show you ways to really get the sticking power to have love stay with you and get incredibly deep. Have fun practicing......
5 Bright Ideas for Fun Things To Do During A Romantic Getaway
Judith I Villarreal
What else could be more exciting and thrilling than packing up for a little mini vacation with no one else around? The only thing you have to consider is what to do once you're on vacation. If you're trying to choose a few things that'll really impress your partner while you're away, then keep this amazing and helpful list of 5 ideas in mind and you're sure to please....
Relationships: Should Someone Try To Rekindle A Friendship?
Oliver JR Cooper
It is often said that one's friends are the family they choose, and this is why someone can feel as close to their fiends as they can to their family. In some instances, the connection one has with their friends could be greater than the connection they have with their family....
True Friends - What Does That Really Mean?
Ryan D Neely
Here is a good way to view a well-rounded friendship through three principles. Though there are other ways to predict a good friendship, these three elements are key to a friendship that will be everlasting....
Why Couples Opt For Pre-Marriage Counselling To Strengthen Their Bond
Mike C Elderson
A lot of couples have gone through a lot of trials and challenges before they decide to get married. They have their own ups and downs. This may be normal but there are also some challenges that a couple may encounter which can really affect their relationship....
5 Common Signs to Know That He Loves You
Are you a single Muslima who thinks that a man likes you but you are not sure about it? Muslim Men are unexpressive when it comes to love and romance. They are too shy to confess their feelings to you. Even if they want to tell you, they will not be expressive in their gesture. So, if you think that a man already likes you but feels hesitant to show his feelings, you can follow these hints:...
A Short Word on Bullying, Harassment and Social Safety
There's no reason why anyone should be in fear of a relationship, because of the threat of violence, or even because it feels awkward. Everyone deserves the opportunity of working and living in safe spaces and situations....