Are You Allergic To Bee Stings?

Everyone is aware of the pain and discomfort that comes along with getting stung by a bee. For some people, however, this common occurrence can create much more than just a minor inconvenience. There are many people who have allergic reactions to bee stings. Some of these people may not even know that they have this problem until it's too late. Here we will take a look at the symptoms of bee stings and compare them to what happens to someone who has an allergic reaction. This will help you identify signs that you may have a problem.

Common Bee Stings

Most of us have been stung by a bee at one time or another, so we are fairly familiar with the results. In addition to the initial pain of the sting itself, you can usually expect some swelling and redness, and even some itching. Usually, these stings are relatively harmless, though they will vary in intensity from one species to another. Even if left untreated, you probably will not have any additional problems.

Things To Watch For

When the symptoms you are experiencing go beyond the normal pain and swelling, it may be an indication that you have a problem. There are several symptoms that can indicate an allergic reaction to bee stings. Some are worse than others, and they will vary from person to person. This will also depend on the type of bee that stings you.

If you are allergic to a certain type of sting, you will usually notice symptoms within the first few minutes. Allergic symptoms will be something other than the usual pain and swelling. Some people will break out in hives when they are allergic to bee stings. Others will have intense itching or swelling of the tongue, which is a common symptom of several types of allergies. Some may even experience dizziness or fainting. This is dangerous because you are also at risk of injuring yourself if you fall down. In the most severe cases, a person may suffer from anaphylaxis, which could result in death.

Even though most symptoms will show up almost immediately, you should keep your eye open for these signs for up to twenty four hours. Sometimes the reaction will be delayed, but it is rare. The most important thing is to get treatment as soon as possible if you suspect an allergic reaction to bee stings. Initial treatment can begin at home, but you should get to a hospital as soon as you can. Give the doctor as much information as you can about the sting, including the type of bee it was, if possible.