The Scoop on Toxic Mold

The Scoop on Toxic Mold

Virtually every nook and cranny in the world harbors some type of mold and it is quite a common problem that can be traced back to ancient times. Mold has really become more prevalent in recent years simply because we all are becoming more aware of the health hazards and dangers it poses, especially a type called toxic mold.

It is estimated that there are well over 100,000 kinds of mold and while some are used for beneficial purposes like medicine and food, many can cause health problems, like the pathogenic and allergenic molds. It is the toxic molds, however, that strike fear because they can release toxins into the air called mycotoxins. When breathed in, this toxic mold can cause serious health problems, especially those that involve the respiratory tract.

Two Types of Toxic Mold

Of the thousands and thousands of types of mold, perhaps about several hundred are truly capable of producing the mycotoxins. However, you are not likely to come in contact with most of them except for these two types of toxic mold: Stachybotrys and Memnoniella.

Toxic mold caused by the Stachybotrys is also known as black mold and just loves moist, fibrous organic type of materials. There are a number of harmful and sometimes fatal reactions to this type in humans and it can grow unnoticed indefinitely and is not always detected when a professional takes air samplings.

This Stachybotrys toxic mold is sneaky and grows behind walls where you cannot see and under ceilings as well. Kitchens, laundry rooms and bathrooms, places where plumbing is in the walls and ceilings, are the most likely areas to harbor this kind of potentially deadly mold.

The Memnoniella type of toxic mold is often an accompanying partner to the Stachybotrys and loves fibrous materials like cotton, paper goods and different types of wood products. This version of mold is equally hazardous to human health, especially infants and the elderly, and even pets and farm animals too.

Clean-Up Measures

Because toxic mold is very dangerous to the health of pets and humans, you should not consider cleaning it up on your own. You do not have the proper tools, chemicals and other protective measures necessary to stay safe during clean-up. Instead, call on a few professionals to give you estimates on the clean-up process and choose the one that would best suit your needs. You only have yourself to blame if you try and clean the toxic mold yourself and you or family members become ill.